Climate change and weather-related disasters are a significant stress factor for humans and ecosystems. Climate change has already been affecting agricultural productivity, natural resources, and risks of hydro-meteorological hazards. In connection with the abovementioned factors, adapting local populations to the consequences of climate change is a crucial task.
The purpose of this activity area is to strengthen the ability for communities to adapt and mitigate against the risks of climate change and climate-related natural disasters at different levels.
The following approaches are used:
- Assessment of climate change risk and elaboration of adaptation measures at local and watershed levels.
- Method of climate change risk assessment for Central Asia.
- Assessment of climate change impact on human, financial, social, natural, and political assets.
The approaches include the following tools:
- L4S training module “Integrated Disaster Risk Management” for local communities.
- L4S training module “Adaptation to Climate Change”. The module is represented by three blocks: resource use, climate change and assessment of climate change risks, and adaptation measures.
- Participatory assessment of climate change risks. Combination and coordination of two parallel assessments: one by experts and one with participation of the population. The outcomes of the assessments are coordinated and complemented at different stages.
- Assessment and analysis of public perception of climate change risks.
- Assessment of impact of climate change risk for development of animal husbandry.
- Mapping of hazards. Ranking of natural hazards according to the intensity of their manifestation and their impact on geographic ranges, as well as their mapping.
- Analysis and mapping of land use. Mapping of land use impact on territory by distinguishing between types and methods of use. Comparison of land use maps and hazard maps, and use this information to inform recommendations for adaptation measures. Training module “Development of Programs: Adaptation to Climate Change Through Natural Resources Management” adapted for Central Asia, originally designed by InWent.
Dissemination of the tools and approaches developed:
- Adaptation of the L4S training module “Adaptation to climate change” for the conditions of Turkmenistan and training of moderators.
- Training of the L4S training module “Adaptation to Climate Change” for communities in Kazakhstan.
History of the projects:
|Implementation period||Project title||Donor||Geography|
|2008-2010||Integrated Disaster Risk Management||SDC (Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation)||Kyrgyzstan, a water basin of the Zerger River|
|2011-2012||Adaptation to Climate Change through Sustainable Management of Resources. Development of Capacity Building programs.||GIZ (German Society for International Cooperation)||CA|
|2011–2012||Capacity Building of Resource Users on Climate Change Risk Management in communities of Kyrgyzstan||NССR (The National Centre of Competence in Research, North-South)||Kyrgyzstan, Sokuluk rayon|
|2012- 2013||Developing Integrated Climate Risk Assessment for CCD Planning in Central Asia||CDKN (Climate and Development Knowledge Network)||CA|
|2013||Adaptation of the training module L4S “Adaptation to climate change” to the conditions of Turkmenistan||UNDP Tu (UNDP program in Turkmenistan)||Turkmenistan|
|2013||Climate Proofing for Development||GIZ (German Society for International Cooperation)||Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan|
|2013||Training L4S CCA in Kazakhstan||UNDP Kz (UNDP in Kazakhstan)||Kazakhstan|